Pages

Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

paying it forward


not too long ago one of my nearest and dearest friends, kerry, gave me a great recipe: cheddar potato frittata. since i've already made it several times and loved it each time, i figured it was about time to pay it forward. the great thing about this recipe is you will most likely have all the ingredients on hand, and if not, you should. they're recipe staples, people.


Cheddar Potato Frittata
- Yukon Gold Potatoes, 1/2 Pound, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Eggs, 6 large
- Scallions, 2 stalks, finely chopped
- olive oil, 1 tablespoon
- Cheddar Cheese, grated, 1/2 c
- Salt, 1/4 tsp
- Pepper, 1/8 tsp

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat all six eggs and add chopped scallions, salt and pepper

Heat olive oil in an 8-inch skillet. Add the potatoes in one layer. Cook over medium heat until both sides are golden brown, about 10 mins, flipping once.

Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes, swirling the pan so the mixture covers all the potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the egg is set on the bottom. Sprinkle on cheese.

Remove the skillet from the stove and set it under a broiler for 7 minutes or until the top is golden and the cheese has melted.

Slide the frittata from the skillet onto a cutting board. Let cool for about 3 minutes before cutting into wedges.

Makes 8 wedges.

*my notes:
-in all fairness, I typically don't have scallions on hand, but I do almost always have an onion and it is a fine substitute.
- i sometimes add more eggs to make it thicker, so if you have more and feel like using them, go for it.
- i think it tastes best if you let the potatoes get a little crispy.
- this can also be a great 'clean out your refrigerator' meal as it tastes great with ingredients such as: tomatoes, spinach, ham, bacon, peppers, etc. these additions are also a great way to appease your husband who doesn't believe in a meal without meat.

on a personal note, while I was making this meal, I found myself subconsciously morphing into my mother, which in my case, is a great thing. but, typically this recipe doesn't even take one whole large potato and I found myself sprinkling the raw potato remnants with salt and eating them. I realized I had vivid memories of my mother doing this when I was little. Funny, but pretty good, I must say.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.