Pages

Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

i mustache you a question

I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm very 'trendy'.
I don't have a Keep Calm and Carry On poster.
Nothing I own is chevron patterned.
And you won't find an Eames rocker in my house.

But there's a certain trend I've been on the fence about for awhile and a certain yard sale find finally tipped me over the edge.

Please tell me you see it:

Don't those rungs just scream mustache?!
You can ask my girlfriends I was yard sale-ing with - I purchased this chair {for $5!} solely because the rungs looked like mustaches to me.  And I vowed to turn it into the mustache chair it was meant to be.

Josh didn't see it. When I brought it home and told him I was going to paint the rungs to look like mustaches, he gave me that look. You know, the one where he's like, I don't get it but I don't want to tell you that because I don't want to stifle your creativity or crush your spirit but I'm hoping you'll change your mind. Yeah, that one.
He can be such a wet blanket.

So instead of painting - which is hard to undo without painting over the whole thing when the mustache trend is over - I decided to go arts and crafts style. Mod Podge + cardstock.

My only obstacle was making a symmetrical mustache. I knew I couldn't free hand it - there's a reason I did graphic design over studio art. My drawing skills are, shall we say, less than awesome. But I knew I could make it symmetrical by folding the paper in half and drawing it. 

And who says you don't learn anything cutting out hearts in kindergarten?

Voila! A perfectly symmetrical mustache!

I did this twice more, playing around with different styles of mustaches. I wanted to make a Hulk Hogan style handlebar mustache, but it wouldn't fit on the rungs.

But here's what I came up with:

And I decided to use mod podge to apply it because it's glue - that dries clear - that also would protect it. Just what I needed.

All you do is coat the back with mod podge and then apply it to your surface and then coat the top as well. It's deceptive because when you put it on, it looks like this:

But then when it dries, it looks like this:


This chair is one of the final ones needed to fill up the spaces at the farm table.



 So, my question for you is...
Who wants to sit in the mustache chair?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.