Pages

Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

trying my hand at embroidery

I took on my first embroidery project recently.
All it required was pillowcases, a large embroidery hoop, embroidery floss, an embroidery needle, pins, tissue paper and this love embroidery pattern from lazy may.
p.s. in case you're confused, that funky bird is the pincushion I made.


Since this was my first try at embroidery, I'm not really sure how you're supposed to transfer patterns to your fabric, but I decided to trace the pattern onto tissue paper and pin it in place so that I could embroider right over it.


Here I go. I used two strands of DMC floss 3820 - mustardy yellow.


I know there are millions of kinds of embroidery stitches, but since I don't know any of them yet, I just stuck with simple, straightforward stitches.


And more stitches...


And even more stitches.
I'm not sure exactly how long it took me to embroider both pillows. There was a Rachel Zoe marathon on and all time was lost. It was ba-nan-as. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)


And when I was finished, I just tore off the tissue paper....


...and was left with this:




I was so proud of my stitchery. Being as it was my first time and all, I'd say those o's are rather impressive.


I was in the market for new shams but I decided I like these much better.




Ah, just looking at that makes me ready for bed.

Anyone have any advice for future embroidery projects for this newbie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.