Pages

Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

operation upgrade all the pillows

I'm too embarrassed to show you what my pillows used to look like.
I'd had them since we got married almost 5 years ago. They were green and brown and stained despite repeated washing.
You know it's bad when your husband starts to complain that they're ugly.

So when I went to Target to check out my options, I realized it would cost me a small fortune to upgrade all the pillows as just one cute pillow was $25. Not gonna happen.

It took a few weeks of hunting and diy-ing, but I was able to upgrade all of my pillows for less than the price of one full-price pillow. I could do this because I used my old pillow forms which were still in good shape.


So, eventually Target did pull through with some good clearance.
Pom-Pom Pillow: $5

Gray Felted Pillow: $7

Gray Napkins: 2 for $3
Napkins are a great option for upgrading pillow covers because they are a perfect square.
Sew three sides, stuff in your pillow and then sew the fourth size shut. Easy as pie.
 I added my own fabric ruffles for a bit of flair.

Cream Rosette Pillow 
Sears Going-out-of-business Sale: $5

Vintage placemat Pillow
Placemats are another great option for easy pillow covering.
This placemat was a quarter yard sale find that I had stashed away and all I had to do was seam rip one of the sides, stuff in a pillow and then sew it shut again.

 Vintage Bed Sheet Pillow
It's always best to think outside the box for fabric. Making this pillow
out of a bedsheet took a bit of measuring and a bit more sewing but
I love the fabric more than anything I could have found at the store.

Vintage Fabric Pillow
Easily my new favorite pillow (I did stuff it with my softest pillow form though).
But I love this vintage fabric. I've had it for so long but could never find the right
thing to use it for. Makes for a great statement pillow.
There are lots of fun vintage fabric options on etsy!
 

Striped Fabric Pillow
I ordered this striped fabric (1/2 yard for $5) from a seller on etsy.
I knew I wanted to add some stripes in with all my floral.
The best thing about making this pillow was this new-to-me envelope cover
technique that my friend Kerry told me about.
Less sewing and you can take off the cover to wash it!


Next time you need a pillow upgrade - try one of these easy and affordable options!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments.